Since autumn 2016, Cross Country Skier has been published in Jeffersonville, Vermont, by Height of Land Publications, the independent owners of Alpinist, Backcountry and Mountain Flyer magazines. During the last five volumes, however, the title has never had a full-time editor, instead relying on production support from the staff of its sister magazines. But we love it, our reader support has remained steadfast, and our quality and presence has only continued to improve.
Now, following a season of unprecedented interest in Nordic skiing, we’re excited to take Cross Country Skier to the next level by hiring a full-time editor to champion the title and allow it to reach its fullest potential. Cross Country Skier is now seeking an Editor in Chief to shepherd the magazine into its 41st volume and beyond.
Likely candidates will be creative individuals with exceptional writing skills and editing experience. They’ll have a deep passion for and intimate knowledge of all forms of cross country skiing. And they’ll be prepared to combine their various experiences to lead and grow North America’s only print media dedicated to Nordic skiing, while cultivating an audience of cross country skiers in print, online and in person.
The Editor in Chief reports to and works closely with the Editorial Director and will work daily within a small production team on tasks that extend across Cross Country Skier Magazine’s print and digital portfolio, including:
- Writing news, editorials, gear reviews and other material for Cross Country Skier Magazine and CrossCountrySkier.com.
- Along with editorial team, editing, copyediting and proofing all material for print, digital and other projects.
- Collaborating with contributors to gather pitches, make assignments and edit stories.
- Editorial planning with editors and art department staff, including developing and executing a creative and diverse editorial calendar in print and online.
- Representing Cross Country Skier Magazine at trade shows, races, festivals, press events and other magazine-, sport- and industry-related gatherings.
- Actively managing Cross Country Skier Magazine’s digital presence—on social media, at CrossCountrySkier.com and through regular newsletters.
- Planning and executing the Cross Country Skier gear test and a Cross Country Skier winter demo tour.
- Development and execution of other projects related to the Cross Country Skier Magazine brand, including the Cross Country Skier Podcast.
- As an employee of Height of Land Publications, the Editor in Chief may assist with various editorial responsibilities for company’s other titles: Alpinist, Backcountry and Mountain Flyer: The Mountain Bike Journal.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field or two-plus years of journalism and/or editorial experience working with print media.
- Excellent knowledge of and experience with all aspects of cross country skiing. Experience working within the outdoor industry a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work daily within a creative team.
- Big-picture creativity, attention to detail, solid organizational skills and a commitment to quality.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects across platforms and meet deadlines.
- Ability to travel regularly throughout the winter for stories, trade shows and media events.
- A deep interest in promoting Nordic skiing through various media outlets. Knowledge of and interest in the other sports covered by Height of Land’s titles—climbing, mountain biking, backcountry skiing & riding—a major plus.
This is a full-time, year-round, salaried position with opportunities to work remotely. Salary commensurate with experience. While this position does not come with health care or retirement benefits at this time, travel and ski benefits and time to pursue both are unrivaled.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter, resume and samples of published writing by Friday, April 23 to firstname.lastname@example.org.