Associate Editor – Cross Country Skier Magazine
Cross Country Skier Magazine, the Journal of Nordic Skiing, based in Jeffersonville, Vt., is currently seeking an Associate Editor. Likely candidates will be deadline-oriented, with exceptional writing skills and strong editing experience; will possess a deep knowledge of and passion for all forms of cross country skiing; and will be prepared to combine their skiing interests, creativity and media savvy to champion North America’s only print media dedicated to Nordic skiing.
The Associate Editor reports to and works closely with the Editorial Director and will work within a small production team on tasks that extend across Cross Country Skier Magazine’s print and digital portfolio, including:
- Writing news, editorials, gear reviews and other material for Cross Country Skier Magazine and CrossCountrySkier.com.
- Along with editorial team, editing, copyediting and proofing all material for print, digital and other projects.
- Collaborating with contributors to gather pitches, make assignments and edit stories.
- Editorial planning with editors and art department staff, including developing and executing a creative and diverse editorial calendar in print and online.
- Representing Cross Country Skier Magazine at trade shows, races, festivals, press events and other magazine-, sport- and industry-related gatherings.
- Actively managing Cross Country Skier Magazine’s digital presence—on social media, at CrossCountrySkier.com and through regular newsletters.
- Planning and executing the Cross Country Skier gear test.
- Assisting with development and execution of other projects related to the Cross Country Skier Magazine brand, including the Cross Country Skier Podcast.
- As an employee of Height of Land Publications, the Associate Editor will assist with various editorial responsibilities for company’s other titles.
The ideal candidate should possess:
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field.
- Five-plus years of journalism and/or editorial experience working with print media.
- Excellent knowledge of all aspects of Nordic skiing and experience working within the outdoor industry.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work daily within a creative team.
- Big-picture creativity, attention to detail, solid organizational skills and a commitment to quality.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects across platforms and meet deadlines.
- Ability to travel regularly throughout the winter for stories, trade shows and media events.
- A deep interest in promoting Nordic skiing through various media outlets.
This is a seasonal position, extending through the print publication’s production season—roughly July to December.
How to Apply:
Please submit cover letter, resume and samples of published writing to email@example.com.